SUFFOLK SPORTS AWARDS: Lifetime Achievement award
The annual Suffolk Sports Awards will take place at Trinity Park, Ipswich, on Friday night. Fourteen awards will be presented and this section looks at the Active Waveney Lifetime Achievement Award. Next Wednesday we’ll bring you the winners from the event in the Ipswich Star and East Anglian Daily Times.
Peter Mornard (Tennis)
Peter, pictured, has served the county in many roles since 1970 and is standing down as the LTA National Council Representative after 28 years service this year.
In his 43 years service to Tennis in Suffolk, Peter has been assistant secretary, coaching chairman, schools’ chairman, chairman of tournaments and is currently serving as vice-president.
Peter’s main involvement has been as a referee, officiating many tournaments throughout East Anglia. He has also been assistant referee at Wimbledon for the past 26 years.
You may also want to watch:
Peter has been one of the ‘Father figures’ as Suffolk tennis has developed and is a font of knowledge about the sport.
Clive Sparkes (Running)
- 1 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 2 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 3 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 4 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 5 Stu says: He's ours now! The pick-pocket and cheese-gate - Town's 4-0 win
- 6 A14 roundabout lanes remain closed as burst water main repaired
- 7 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 8 'We were shamed'... Pompey boss Cowley offers no excuses
- 9 Family pay tribute to former Suffolk headteacher who has passed away
- 10 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
Clive competed in the first Ipswich Half Marathon and the first Ipswich Marathon in 1983.
In 1985, he was elected as chairman of Ipswich JAFFA and continued in this role until 1992. During this time, the club computerised it’s club records, introduced a standards award scheme, expanded the junior section of the club, organised its first road race, was chosen as National Running Club of the year in 1989 and won a running magazine national cross country title.
Once Clive started coaching Helen Davies, her progress was staggering. She gained England marathon selection in 2008 and 2009 and then for Great Britain and England for the European Championships and Commonwealth Games in 2010.
Clive currently coaches club members at JAFFA and recently introduced park sessions on a Saturday as well as coaching other international athletes.
He is also a competing member of Ipswich Bicycle Club and Ipswich Triathlon club.
Sandie Lister (Hockey)
An Ipswich Hockey Club member for over 30 years, Sandie played for GB and England, winning Olympic bronze in 1992 in Barcelona and the European tile in 1991.
She captained the England ladies side from 1987-1995 and after retiring from playing, took up the first-team coach role at Ipswich Hockey club, leading her team to National Cup title and the National Indoor finals.
As a teacher at Ipswich High School for Girls, Sandie has helped develop some of the pupils into top-class players and has been an inspiration to so many players over the last 30 years.