Suffolk Thai boxers impress in Luton bouts
A PAIR of talented Thai boxers from Suffolk put on a superb show of skill and courage at a major regional fight event last weekend.
Sophie Dallas and Matthew Butcher, who both train at the Unit One Combat Sports & Fitness Gym in Bury St Edmunds, did battle at the Pure Force 6 show in Luton on August 8.
Butcher, 19, soundly defeated Rob Golding from the hosts Hanuman gym.
His clean technique and superb fitness left the busy but untidy Golding gasping for air and reeling from the dizzying range of punches, kicks, elbows and knees delivered on target.
It was a return to form for Butcher, who trained very hard in preparation for the fight and reaped the benefits in the ring.
You may also want to watch:
It seemed he was unable to miss with every shot he threw, while in return he absorbed only minimal scoring knee strikes in the clinch.
Meanwhile Dallas, 16, lost a decision against Bonnie Van Oortmerson, a professional fighter ranked second in the country, from the Snipers gym.
- 1 13 Fire engines attend blaze at sugar beet factory
- 2 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 3 A14 reopens after one person taken to hospital following crash
- 4 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 5 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 6 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
- 7 Winners and losers: Hollywood ending, Bersant is back, fans get their wish
- 8 Man indecently exposes himself to dog walker
- 9 Affordable homes project proposed for Suffolk village
- 10 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
Van Oortmerson strongly attacked the elusive Dallas, but the Bury teenager’s evasive counter-fighting style frustrated the experienced 32-year-old.
Despite losing the bout, Dallas surprised everyone with a composed, quality performance and earned the respect of the vocal crowd.
- For more information about Bury Thai boxing visit www.unit1gym.com, phone 01284 760468, or visit the gym in Kempson Way, Bury.