Sunderland to sign England defender
STEVE Bruce has launched a �5million bid for David Wheater. (The Sun)And the Sunderland boss looks set to seal an initial January loan deal for the Middlesbrough centre-back.
STEVE Bruce has launched a �5million bid for David Wheater. (The Sun)
And the Sunderland boss looks set to seal an initial January loan deal for the Middlesbrough centre-back.
Bruce will then piece together a �4m move for Wheater, 22, rising a further �1m on incentives.
The former Manchester United defender wants the highly-rated star after losing faith in his own �8m defender Anton Ferdinand.
You may also want to watch:
Ferdinand has been relegated to the Sunderland bench for their last two games. Wheater is in the Championship after Boro's relegation last season.
And he is eager to get back to the Premier League to catch England boss Fabio Capello's eye.
- 1 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 2 Can Town kick on now? Predictions for the next five league games
- 3 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 4 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 5 Jail for man who threatened to 'do a Raoul Moat' and kill police
- 6 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
- 7 'We have formed a successful partnership' - Morsy on his Evans reunion
- 8 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
- 9 Suffolk shops struggling to secure fresh meat as CO2 concerns deepen
- 10 Things to do in Suffolk this weekend with friends and family
Boro are eighth and the recent sacking of boss Gareth Southgate has unsettled Wheater.