Superb Jennings fires Seasiders to comfortable win in Norfolk against Fakenham
- Credit: Photo:Stan Baston
Thurlow Nunn Premier Fakenham 0 Felixstowe & Walton 4
Felixstowe first-team boss Kevin O’Donnell was delighted with his team’s overall performance as they extended their winning run to six matches, with no goals conceded, against a competitive and well organised Fakenham side at Clipbush Park.
A hat-trick from Craig Jennings and a goal from Tom Winter ensured Felixstowe & Walton retained second spot in the table and maintained pressure on leaders Milldenhall Town who saw their lead reduced to ten points after a surprise home defeat for them against Saffron Walden.
A high tempo game from the start saw Felixstowe & Walton ‘keeper Crump save Plumb’s powerful shot from the edge of the area in the first minute, at the expense of a corner.
The visitors responded decisively with Jennings scoring from the edge of the home area on three minutes. The overlapping Bennett crossed the ball for Winter to set up the chance for the in-form number nine who fired home confidently.
You may also want to watch:
Both teams produced flowing passing football with Felixstowe’s Chaplin, Wiggins and Powell creating openings with Bennett completing one move with a dipping drive which brought an excellent save from Rix in the home goal as he palmed the ball over the bar.
The Seasiders doubled their advantage seven minutes into the second half when Davis headed on Bennett’s corner kick towards Jennings who took his chance acrobatically from six yards.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 3 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 4 Chaplin is Cook's 'assassin' who was once taught a tough lesson by the Town boss
- 5 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 7 Suffolk sprinter opens her 'dream' cafe at age of 25
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 9 Boy, 13, pulled from moat at Framlingham Castle
- 10 Town's first game of the season will be all-ticket
Glover went closest to scoring for Fakenham in the second half with a powerful close-range header, following a free kick, which the Felixstowe defence were pleased to see bounce clear.
Two goals mid-way through the half secured the points for the Seasiders. Powell’s defence splitting pass found Clarke wide on the left and his accurate cross was met by Winter for the third. Two minutes later Bennett and Powell turned defence into attack finding Jennings in space to complete his hat-trick.
Fakenham: Rix, D Williams, Garner, J Williams, Gilchrist, Franks (Youngs 67mins), Abbott (Garner 50mins), Harvey (Dye 45mins), Plumb, Glover, Akers.
Seasiders: Crump, Bennett, Clarke, Wiggins (Mapplebeck 80mins), Driver, Davis, Andrews (Birchfield 60mins), Chaplin, Jennings (Ingram 73mins), Powell, Winter.
Referee: James Turner