Swanborough appointed manager of Eastern Counties’ women’s team
- Credit: Archant
Aaron Swanborough has been appointed as manager of Eastern Counties’ women’s team.
Swanborough will retain his position as head coach, working alongside fellow coaches Ian “Spike” Milligan and Charl Farquar, and will build on the recent development of the women’s game in the Eastern Counties.
“Being appointed the head coach and team manager of the women’s Eastern Counties side is an honour and I will do whatever it takes to ensure we continue on this great path that women’s rugby is taking,” he said.
“With the team behind this year’s Eastern Counties setup, and the playing talent that I have seen so far, we are sure to have a great season.
“I am an approachable coach, just like the rest of the management and coaching team and our doors are always open if you have any questions, ideas or recommendations.”
You may also want to watch:
Swanborough brings years of rugby experience to the role, and played for Norwich and Wymondham, before coaching Wymondham Wasps.
The Eastern Counties’ women’s schedule is packed for this season, with preliminary trials having already taken place last November and, most recently, last Sunday.
- 1 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 2 Car stranded in ditch after crash near Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 4 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 5 'There are a million pundits... it becomes tedious' - Cook on Portsmouth trip
- 6 North Stander: Nowhere near good enough at this stage of the season
- 7 3,000 children test positive for Covid in Suffolk over 10 day period
- 8 Woman sexually assaulted near Ipswich Waterfront
- 9 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 10 Suspected drink driver arrested after cyclist killed in collision
Two further sessions are scheduled for February 5 at Stowmarket RFC and February 19 at Thetford RFC.
These two sessions will focus on key areas and game plans.
Following the session on February 19, the EC management and coaching team will select their squad ahead of the championships.
The EC squad will come together for a team building event on March 26, and more information will follow on this shortly.
On April 2, EC host a friendly against Essex at Stowmarket RFC, and this will provide a great test before the start of the championships.
Further squad training sessions are planned for April 9 at Thetford and possibly April 16, although this has yet to be confirmed.
EC Women’s team then take part in the RFU Women’s County Championship, playing Warwickshire at Stowmarket RFC in their first game on April 23, followed by two away fixtures on April 30 and May 7, against Oxfordshire and Leicestershire respectively, before they host Cheshire at West Norfolk RFC on May 13.