Ten-man Bury Town fall to narrow defeat at Lewes in Ryman Premier
- Credit: Archant
Bury Town put on a much-improved display at The Dripping Pan, against Lewes, but came away with a 1-0 defeat.
The first opportunity fell to Lewes on 16 minutes. A free-kick from Tom Davis rebounded to Matt Crabb who shot over the bar.
Bury responded with a well-struck free kick on 21 minutes from Callum Bennett, which saw Lewes goalkeeper Rikki Banks pull off a good save.
Blues had another great opportunity on 29 minutes, Kye Ruel whipping in a dangerous corner which was met by Joe Benjamin, but his shot was saved on the line by Banks.
Bury went behind on 32 minutes when a lucky deflection landed at the feet of Luke Blewden who scored from close range.
You may also want to watch:
Bury almost got level on 42 minutes when another quality corner from Ruel was headed by Connor Hall at point blank range forcing a brilliant save from Banks. Bennett then saved Bury in the last minute of the half clearing a shot of the line from Blewden.
After the break, Bury continued to press forward looking for the equaliser and their best chance came in the 65 minute after a great through ball found Bury substitute Tevan Allen in the box. He had two chances to score but couldn’t make them count as the ball eventually went out of play.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 5 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 6 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 7 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 8 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 9 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 10 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
A minute later, Seb Dunbar was sent off for a second yellow card. Bury continued to battle until the final whistle and never gave up but ended up with another defeat.