Tom Daley aiming for medals in Holland
BRITISH Olympic hope Tom Daley will be going for gold when the European Diving Championships begin in Eindhoven tonight.
The 17-year-old headlines one of the strongest-ever British teams in recent memory as they make their final preparations ahead of this summer’s Games.
Britain won four medals at last month’s final round of the World Series in Mexico and that was with the all-conquering Chinese also competing.
Daley, the former platform world champion, is in arguably the form of his life and took gold in Central America in the absence of Chinese champion, Qiu Bo.
The teenager won the European platform title as a 13-year-old and while he is expected to be a favourite to reclaim his crown, he will miss out on the chance of competing in the synchro after diving partner Peter Waterfield pulled out with a neck injury, as a precaution, ahead of next month’s Olympic qualifiers, in Sheffield.
You may also want to watch:
Daley will, however, compete in the non-Olympic mixed team event alongside Becky Gallantree to kick-off the competition tonight, the duo having finished fourth four years ago.
Women’s platform synchro team Tonia Couch and Sarah Barrow will look to continue their breakthrough season on tomorrow night, after finishing third in February’s World Cup.
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 3 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 4 'It was a tiny step forwards' - Cook on 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 5 Matchday Live: Updates as Town travel to The Valley to face Charlton
- 6 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 7 Suffolk-born Royal Ballet choreographer Liam Scarlett dies
- 8 Why are 3,500 homes stood empty in Suffolk?
- 9 Shopper eschew Suffolk's smaller towns to hit Primark
- 10 Blues ratings: How Town players performed in the draw at Charlton
They had previously finished fourth in the 2010 Commonwealth Games and again at last year’s World Championships.