Ipswich Town Ladies’ FA Cup dreams ended by the Addicks
- Credit: Archant
FA Cup Third Round Ipswich Town 2 Charlton Athletic 5 aet Ipswich Town Ladies’ dreams of reaching the FA Cup Fourth Round for the first time were shattered in an extra-time defeat to higher league Charlton Athletic.
A brace from Kit Graham and goals from Charlotte Gurr, Sam Pittuck and Charlotte Lee were enough to see the South London side into the hat for the next round, with Cassie Craddock on target twice for the Tractor Girls at Felixstowe & Walton United.
Town had very few chances in the first half but arguably could have been in front at the break. Sophie Welton chased down forced Addicks’ stopper Katie Startup into a mistake, with Zoe Cossey unlucky not to bury the resulting chance.
It took the Blues just two minutes after the restart to take the lead. Craddock picked the ball up 25 yards from goal and let fly towards the top right corner, scoring an absolute stunner, with the help from the windy conditions.
The visitors found an equaliser through top scorer Charlotte Gurr, with the influential striker heading home from close range following an initial stop from Sian Fagg in the Ipswich goal.
You may also want to watch:
Four minutes later, the South Londoners found themselves in front. Graham controlled just inside the area, teed herself up and beat Fagg excellently with a volley.
However, the Blues responded almost instantly as Craddock was again at the forefront. Charlton keeper’ Startup fluffed a back pass and the ball fell straight to Craddock, who fired powerfully into an open net for 2-2.
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 2 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 3 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 4 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 8 Ipswich mum 'eating junk food and take-aways' goes from size 22 to 12
- 9 More police mistakes in case of 'bubbly and funny' Emma who fell from window
- 10 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
So for the third successive FA Cup tie, the Blues would be heading for extra-time to decide their fate. The tight affair continued but a quick double from Charlton sealed the game.
First Graham grabbed her second of the game, poking home from six yards after a scramble in the area, then Pittuck broke away straight from the kick-off and fired high into the corner, giving Fagg no chance.
The Blues had simply run out of steam and the Addicks capped off a dominant last 30 minutes when Lee found herself one on one with Fagg and calmly tucked home, sealing the win.
The Blues return to league action this Sunday against bottom of the table Haringey Borough at the Goldstar Ground. Kick-off is 2pm.
Town XI: Fagg (GK), Ball, Petley, Cooper, Pannifer, Arnoup (Cage), Craddock, Crump (c), Welton (Moore), Cossey, Thomas (Henry).