Teenage defender Woolfenden denied Wembley appearance by Town recall
- Credit: Pagepix Ltd
Ipswich Town have recalled teenage defender Luke Woolfenden from a loan spell at FA Trophy finalists Bromley to boost their threadbare squad for the final two Championship matches.
Grant Ward has played at right wing-back in the first two games of Bryan Klug’s caretaker management but now serves a three-match suspension following his straight red card in last weekend’s 4-0 home defeat to aston Villa.
Right-sided duo Dominic Iorfa (groin) and Barry Cotter (knee) remain injured, while Jordan Spence is required at centre-back due to Luke Chambers and Adam Webster being sidelined.
As a result, Town have opted to recall Woolfenden from a non-league loan spell just as they did with young homegrown centre-back Chris Smith (Chelmsford) recently.
The tall, pacey, 19-year-old – who impressed in Carabao Cup matches at Luton and Crystal Palace at the start of the season – goes straight into the Blues squad for tomorrow’s match at Reading.
It means he has been denied a potential once-in-a-lifetime appearance at Wembley, with Bromley set to face Brackley Town in the FA Trophy Final on May 20.
You may also want to watch:
Woolfenden joined the Ravens on loan just before Christmas and has made 17 starts and three substitute appearances for the play-off chasing South London club.
- 1 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 2 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 3 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 4 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 5 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 6 Petrol queues worsen rush-hour traffic
- 7 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 8 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 9 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 10 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door