Town reserves clinch title after draw
IPSWICH Town Reserves are enjoying that winning feeling today after securing their league title at Luton last night.Goals from Sito Castro and Billy Clarke in the last two minutes of the first half at Kenilworth Road were enough to secure a point and the Pontin's Holidays Combination East division, with a game to spare.
By Derek Davis
IPSWICH Town Reserves are enjoying that winning feeling today after securing their league title at Luton last night.
Goals from Sito Castro and Billy Clarke in the last two minutes of the first half at Kenilworth Road were enough to secure a point and the Pontin's Holidays Combination East division, with a game to spare.
The Blues will now entertain the winners of the Central division (on a date to be arranged before the season end) expected to be Southampton with Brighton still in contention, to clinch the regional title.
You may also want to watch:
A strong Ipswich team sprinkled with first team regulars coasted to a two-goal lead but were made to pay for a lapse of concentration late in the game as on-loan Liverpool striker Besian Iidrizaj pulled one back and then former Hartlepool midfielder Adam Boyd equalised after Tommy Smith was ruled to have handled while on the deck.
It is the first silverware for the second string since Dale Roberts' youngsters, including the likes of Darren Bent, Darren Ambrose, Justin Miller, Matt Bloomfield and Matt Richards, who played yesterday, secured the Premier Reserve League (south) title in 2002.
- 1 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 2 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 3 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
- 4 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 5 Road outside Ipswich closed after two cars collide
- 7 Former Town winger Finidi George gets first senior manager job
- 8 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
- 9 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 10 Cook on whether he's missing the influence of Richardson
The Blues will now look to complete an unusual double by aiming for the Suffolk Premier Cup against Leiston at Portman Road next Tuesday.
Ipswich Town: Plummer, Synnott, Miller, Smith, Harding, Sito (Upson, 75) Moore, Trotter, Richards (Robinson, 75) Clarke (Reason, 84) Rhodes. Subs not used: Fenn, Tooms.