Tuncay snubbed by English clubs
MIDDLESBROUGH's Tuncay is set to quit English football after being snubbed by Premier League clubs. (Daily Star)The 27-year-old Turkey international will not figure for Boro in tonight's Championship opener against Sheffield United at the Riverside, having been laid low by tonsillitis.
MIDDLESBROUGH's Tuncay is set to quit English football after being snubbed by Premier League clubs. (Daily Star)
The 27-year-old Turkey international will not figure for Boro in tonight's Championship opener against Sheffield United at the Riverside, having been laid low by tonsillitis.
But despite indicating he wants to stay in this country, Tuncay is now examining his options in Europe.
Liverpool, Chelsea and Aston Villa are all admirers of the player, however, none have followed up their initial interest and now either Villarreal in Spain or German outfit Stuttgart would appear his more likely destinations.
Boss Gareth Southgate said: “I would not expect Tuncay to be with us in September but I'm amazed he is still here now.
“We have had several calls but no written offers, though things are heating up.
- 1 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
- 2 Under-used council land to become sites for 3,000 homes
- 3 Weather warning issued as Suffolk could see snow fall tomorrow
- 4 New animal feed mill planned for Bury St Edmunds
- 5 New Ed Sheeran Christmas song with Elton John out this week
- 6 Suffolk mass vaccination centre wants to jab 10,000 amid Omicron concern
- 7 25-year-old left eating disorder clinic prior to death on A14
- 8 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 9 55 projects identified in major plans to transform transport
- 10 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
“He would like to stay over here but is now thinking he may have to play in Europe.''
While Southgate will be sad to lose Tuncay, he will be relieved when record buy Afonso Alves finally ends his nightmare spell at Boro.
He is ready to cut his losses on the �12m Brazilian flop, due to join an unnamed club in Qatar next week.
That will allow Southgate to bring in a new striker to partner recent arrival Leroy Lita, with Derby's Rob Hulse at the top of his list.
He added: “We have had interest in Alves but our valuation has not been met. There's a chance a deal can be struck though, because we are not too far apart.''
Meanwhile, Kyel Reid will be motivated if he makes his debut for the Blades tonight - after turning down Boro when he left West Ham.
Winger Reid, 21, said: “There are some real stand-out matches in this division and the game with Boro is one of them.”