Tungate flies to flawless maximum as Witches make it one defeat in 13
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Witches 59 Peterborough Panthers 36
Rohan Tungate raced to a brilliant 15-point maximum as Ipswich Witches made it one defeat in 13 with an easy 59-36 victory over Peterborough Panthers at Foxhall Stadium.
Tungate, the new Witches No.1, rode just like a No.1 should, gating well and passing at will.
It was an impressive performance from the young Aussie and bodes well for the play-off fixtures just around the corner.
However, the evening was tinged with concern for Witches fans after Ipswich’s American ace Gino Manzares crashed out of the meeting in heat five.
You may also want to watch:
The popular rider had already taken one tumble in his first race, heat three, and then got totally out of shape two races later, crashing awkwardly coming out of the fourth turn.
He was taken to Ipswich Hospital with shoulder and back injuries leaving the stadium in a great deal of discomfort.
- 1 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 2 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
- 4 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 5 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 6 Mike Bacon: Starting to walk the walk, I'm liking the way we move
- 7 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 8 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 9 Family pays tribute to 'gentle giant' who died in motorbike crash
- 10 'It's powerful' - Harper on Town's use of sports psychology
It slightly took the shine off another competent Witches performance and Peterborough had little answer to the Suffolk side’s aggressive racing.
Reserves Adam Ellis and Cameron Heeps were again hugely impressive and at no point did you ever think the points were leaving Foxhall.
1 Tungate, Bjerre, Hawkins, Roynon 57.5 4-2
2 Ellis, Heeps, Barrett, Dilger 58.0 9-3
3 Risager, Ostergaard, Hall, Manzares (f/x) 58.2 12-6
4 Dryml, Worrall, Ellis, Barrett 58.7 15-9
5 Bjerre, Risager, Manzares (f/x), Roynon (ex) no time 17-12
6 Tungate, Hawkins, Dryml, Dilger 59.0 22-13
7 Worrall, Ostergaard, Hall, Heeps 59.1 25-16
8 Ellis, Hawkins, Roynon, Barrett 59.2 30-17
9 Dryml*, Heeps, Risager, Barrett 58.9 33-23
10 Tungate, Hawkins, Ostergaard, Hall 59.2 38-24
11 Bjerre*, Heeps, Worrall, Roynon 59.6 41-30
12 Ellis, Risager, Barrett, Hall 60.0 46-31
13 Tungate, Worrall, Dryml, Bjerre (f/x) no time 51-32
14 Ellis, Heeps, Dilger, Ostergaard (e/f) 59.4 56-33
15 Tungate, Dryml, Bjerre, Risager 58.8 59-36
* tac ride points count double
Ipswich 3 pts. Peterborough 0 pts.
Ipswich: R Tungate 15, R Hawkins 7+3, M Risager 8+2, G Manzares 0, R Worrall 8+2, C Heeps 8+2, A Ellis 13+1
Peterborough: L Bjerre 12+1, A Roynon 1, R Hall, 2+2, U Ostergaard 5, A Dryml 13, M Dilger 1, N Barrett 2.