U’s and me: Freddie Sears signed for a month, and ended up staying for nearly three years!
- Credit: Archant
It was exciting news, for U’s fans, when Freddie Sears was announced as a new loan signing, from Premier League West Ham on February 17, 2012.
The deal was initially just for a month, but in the end front-runner Sears was to stay at Colchester for nearly three years!
I recall his debut, at Yeovil Town just 24 hours after his arrival, with fondness, even though John Ward’s men lost that game 3-2.
Steven Gillespie gave the U’s a half-time lead, but that advantage was wiped out by three goals in a 17-minute spell of the second period, via Dean Parrett, Lawson D’Ath and Andy Williams.
Although Martin Rowlands reduced the arrears in the last minute, it was not enough to salvage a draw.
You may also want to watch:
However Sears, although he was not amongst the scorers, still showed enough flair, pace and skill to suggest that he would be a good addition to the U’s squad.
And so it proved.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 3 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 4 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 5 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 6 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 7 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 8 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 9 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 10 Woodbridge 'cheese wedge' site goes back up for sale
Sears extended his loan stay until the end of the season, scoring his first goal in a U’s shirt with an 81st minute penalty in a 1-1 home draw against Hartlepool on April 6. It was his first goal in a year.
He also hit the back of the net in the final home game of the season, a 4-2 win over Tranmere.
That summer, Sears left West Ham by mutual consent, and signed a three-year deal with the U’s in July, 2012.
He went on to give terrific service to United, but he now begins a new chapter at Ipswich Town.
I, for one, think Sears will be a big hit in the Championship, but time will tell.