U’s avoid slide into relegation zone
COLCHESTER United have stayed out of the relegation zone, going into the new year.
The U’s scheduled home game against Swindon Town this afternoon had been postponed 24 hours earlier, following a pitch inspection – the surface was waterlogged.
That left Joe Dunne’s men in danger of slipping into the bottom four, without being able to kick a ball.
But Portsmouth and Bury, fourth-from-bottom and third-from-bottom respectively, could not take advantage this afternoon.
A win for either team would have sucked the U’s into the drop zone, but both suffered defeats.
You may also want to watch:
Pompey were beaten 2-1 at home by Yeovil, while Bury lost 2-1 at Carlisle.
That leaves the U’s in 20th spot, one place and two points above the relegation zone.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 2 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 5 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 7 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 8 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 9 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 10 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
Their next fixture is away at Crawley Town on New Year’s Day (kick-off 3pm). Crawley were soundly beaten 3-0 at Bournemouth this afternoon.