U's claim first home win of season
Colchester United 4 QPR 2KEM Izzet chose the perfect time to score his first goal of the season, and so help Colchester United to their first home win of the campaign in a goal feast last night.
By Carl Marston
Colchester United 4 QPR 2
KEM Izzet chose the perfect time to score his first goal of the season, and so help Colchester United to their first home win of the campaign in a goal feast last night.
It was an unhappy return to Layer Road for QPR's caretaker manager Mick Harford, who was the assistant to U's boss Geraint Williams last term.
You may also want to watch:
Harford watched his basement dwellers leak four goals as United leapfrogged into 12th in the Championship table. Having taken the lead through Mikele Leigertwood's own goal, the U's conceded an equaliser from old boy Hogan Ephraim.
However, Izzet nodded home his first goal of the campaign, and Mark Yeates and Clive Platt also hit the target. Another ex-U's star, Rowan Vine, scored QPR's second goal.
- 1 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 2 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 3 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 4 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 5 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 6 Why Ipswich Town's American owners won't be making first visit for Morecambe clash
- 7 The Town players who have improved their stock in pre-season
- 8 New plans for village cafe, shop and business units divide opinion
- 9 WATCH: Ever Given docks at Felixstowe after four-month delay
Izzet announced: “I was due a goal, but I don't want it to end here. I want to score at least nine more this season!
“Ten is a good haul for a midfielder. I've done it before, and I'll do it again. I was waiting for my header to hit the post and come out, because I haven't had that much luck this season, but thankfully it went in.”
QPR caretaker boss Harford rued: “I enjoyed my time at Colchester, and I got a good reception, but it's just a shame about the result. That has not helped me, the players or the club.”