U’s cruise to big victory

Colchester United 4 Oldham Athletic 1

COLCHESTER United scored inside the first half-minute of each half to build the platform for a big victory over Oldham Athletic this afternoon.

Anthony Wordsworth netted the first of his two goals after just 18 seconds, to set the tone for an exhilarating afternoon. The U’s were simply irresitible, from start to finish.

Wordsworth cut inside from the right and curled a delightful 20-yard shot into the far corner of the net. It was a sensational finish from Wordsworth, and the perfect start for United.

However, after the U’s had missed a string of chances to add to that lead, they were pegged back by a controversial penalty decision in the 36th minute.

You may also want to watch:

Keeper Mark Cousins rushed to the left-edge of his penalty area and appeared to shepherd the ball away from Reuben Reid, while diving forwards. However, the assistant referee saw the incident differently and flagged for a foul, and therefore a penalty.

It looked a harsh decision on the U’s, and Reid picked himself up to convert the penalty and so make it 1-1.

Most Read

But United were awarded a penalty themselves, deep into first-half stoppage time, and again it was not referee Steve Rushton but his assistant who spotted the infringement.

Ian Henderson took a tumble in the box, under a challenge from defender Zander Diamond. Mr Rushton initially waved play on, only to be alerted to his assistant’s raised flag by U’s players.

After a lengthy chat, the penalty was awarded and Wordsworth slammed home the spot kick low past Cisak, in the fifth minute of first-half stoppage time.

And it took Colchester just 30 seconds of the second period to increase their lead to 3-1. The impressive Henderson rose unmarked to head home Michail Antonio’s cross.

Oldham’s defence was by now run ragged, and it was no real surprise when Matt Heath added a fourth for the U’s in the 56th minute. Again he was unmarked to head home Lloyd James’ corner.

The U’s took their foot off the pedal during the final half-hour, but were always in complete charge.

This was a fully deserved first home win of the season, and their second victory of the campaign following their opening day success at Preston.


COLCHESTER UNITED: Cousins, Wilson, Okuonghae, Heath, Coker, O’Toole (sub Bond, 76), James, Wordsworth, Henderson, Odejayi (sub Gillespie, 68), Antonio (sub Izzet, 88). Unused subs: Rose, Baldwin.

OLDHAM ATHLETIC: Cisak, Lee, Diamond, Clarke, Black (sub Diallo, 46) Morais, Winchester, Wesolowski, Mellor (sub Smith, 30), Taylor, Reid. Unused subs: Gerrard, M’Voto, Lund.

Referee: Steve Rushton (Staffs)

Attendance: 3,023

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter