U’s defeated by cruel stoppage time goal
Coca-Cola League One
Huddersfield Town 2 Colchester United 1
COLCHESTER United cruelly slipped to their seventh straight away defeat courtesy of substitute Lee Novak’s late stoppage time winner.
The result was harsh on the U’s after they had deservedly fought back to equalise through Simon Hackney in the 76th minute.
With fringe players Simon Hackney and David Fox handed an opportunity to impress from the start, Colchester’s new-look 4-5-1 formation saw them produce some of their neatest passing football of the campaign.
You may also want to watch:
Huddersfield took the lead in the 17th minute courtesy of a controversial penalty. The linesman flagged that the ball had hit the arm of Paul Reid in a crowded box and, despite guessing the right way, Ben Williams was beaten from 12 yards by Theo Robinson.
A bumper Terriers crowd were enjoying the occasion, knowing that a play-off place had already been secured. However, Colchester put a temporary dampener on the party with a deserved second half equaliser.
- 2 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 3 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
- 4 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 5 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
- 6 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 7 Cook on whether he's missing the influence of Richardson
- 8 Hits, misses, an 'unseen' suspension, a few goals and two still without clubs - how the departed Ipswich players are faring ahead of Bishop reunion
- 9 Ed Sheeran announces three Wembley dates as part of = world tour
- 10 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
The leveller came with 14 minutes of normal time to go when substitute Kayode Odejayi left home skipper Peter Clarke for dead on the by-line before pulling the ball back for Hackney to score.
Hackney, who ran his heart out all game, was substituted with cramp moments later and received a hearty pat on the back from manager Aidy Boothroyd.
Huddersfield had barely created a chance in the second period, but they somehow found a winner in the fourth minute of added on time when sub Novak headed home Gary Roberts’ free-kick.
The winner sparked a lengthy pitch invasion from the home crowd who know their side can still make second following Leeds United’s loss against Charlton.
- Full report and reaction in Monday’s EADT.
Huddersfield: Alex Smithies; Tom Clarke, Lee Peltier, Neal Trotman, Peter Clarke (cpt), Neal Trotman; Gary Roberts, Anthony Pilkington (Nathan Eccleston 81), Antony Kay, Danny Drinkwater; Theo Robinson (Lee Novak 59), Jordan Rhodes.
Unused Subs: Simon Eastwood, Nathan Clarke, Krystian Pearce, Robbie Williams, Robbie Simpson.
Booked: P Clarke (20).
Colchester: Ben Williams; John White, Marc Tierney, Magnus Okuonghae (cpt), Paul Reid; Ian Henderson (Kayode Odejayi 69), Simon Hackney (Clive Platt 81), Kemi Izzet, David Fox, Anthony Wordsworth; Kevin Lisbie.
Unused Subs: Mark Cousins, Matt Heath, Thomas Bender, Steven Gillespie, Bradley Hamilton.
Booked: Reid (16), Tierney (83).
U’s Man-of-the-Match: Simon Hackney.
Referee: Mr K P Stroud.