U’s denied win at the death
Coventry City 2 Colchester United 2
AN injury-time free-kick by Carl Baker denied Colchester United what would have been a precious victory on the road at Coventry City tonight.
Skipper Baker blasted home a 20-yard set piece, after George Porter had fouled James Bailey just outside the box, two minutes into stoppage time.
It was cruel on Colchester, who had seemed to be coasting to victory thanks to a goal in each half from Gavin Massey and Michael Smith.
Winger Massey broke the deadlock in the 39th minute, with a superb finish, and target man Smith crowned his first U’s start with the second goal on 71 minutes.
Substitute Callum Wilson gave the Sky Blues hope, by reducing the arrears within three minutes of Smith’s goal.
And that set up Baker’s last gasp equaliser, to rob the U’s of two points.
- 1 'Emotions are high' - McGreal on ugly scenes following Charlton loss
- 2 Suffolk bin collection changes this Christmas: All you need to know
- 3 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Town's 2-0 loss at Charlton
- 5 Ex-Celtic boss Lennon linked with Town job
- 6 A14 reopens near Ipswich after four-vehicle crash
- 7 Body of man found in Saxmundham
- 8 Fallen trees block Suffolk roads as Storm Barra batters region
- 9 Three suspected cases of Omicron at Bury St Edmunds schools
- 10 'I apologise for the misunderstanding' - Nsiala issues statement
This was still a valuable point, in the Essex club’s quest to pull clear of the relegation zone, but it will have felt like a defeat rather than a draw.
COVENTRY CITY: Murphy, Dickinson, Christie, Edjenguele, Bailey, Martin, Baker, Jennings, Moussa (sub Wilson, 72) McSheffrey (sub Fleck, 72), McDonald. Unused subs: Dunn, Thomas, Bell, Willis, Stewart.
COLCHESTER UNITED: Walker, Wilson, Thompson, Okuonghae, Garmston (sub White, 89), Clifford, Bond, Porter, Morrison (sub Compton, 83), , Massey, Smith (sub Ladapo, 78). Unused subs: Cousins, Heath, David Wright, Bean.
Referee: Stephen Martin (Staffordshire)