U's end on away day high

FIRST-half goals from Ashley Vincent and Mark Yeates, in a three-minute spell, ensured that Colchester United ended a disappointing season on a high note at Yeovil.

Carl Marston

Yeovil Town 0 Colchester United 2

FIRST-half goals from Ashley Vincent and Mark Yeates, in a three-minute spell, ensured that Colchester United ended a disappointing season on a high note at Yeovil.

Despite their position in mid-table, the U's have shown promotion form on the road all campaign. In fact, only four teams can boast a better away record in League One.

It is the dismal form at the Community Stadium that has really cost the U's, something that manager Paul Lambert will be keen to sort out for next season. Before, then, though, he plans to make sweeping changes to his squad.

At Huish Park, the home of the U's promotion party three years ago, goals from Vincent in the 13th minute and star man Yeates in the 15th minute easily accounted for Yeovil, who were just happy to have guaranteed their League One survival the previous weekend.

Most Read

It was the U's 11th away league win of the campaign.

After a very non-descript first 12 minutes, during which neither team looked like even worrying the opposing keeper, the U's scored twice in three minutes.

Yeates was the creator of the first goal, which was converted by VINCENT for his first goal in a Colchester shirt.

Keeper Weale should really have done better with the effort. Yeates caused problems down the left and squared across the face of the penalty area for the onrushing Vincent, whose low drive squirmed under Weale and into the centre of the net.

Bristol City loanee Weale will also be disappointed with his contribution to the second goal - ironically, he had been crowned a hero in the previous home fixture by venturing upfield to head home an injury-time equaliser from a corner in a 2-2 draw against Hereford.

But he was no hero in this match! YEATES had time to regain his balance on the edge of the box, when a free-kick looked likely, before suddenly unleashing a shot out-of-the-blue that flew past Weale at his near post. It was an embarrassing moment for the Yeovil No. 1.

Yeates' goal was timed at 15 minutes, giving the U's a two-goal cushion. It was also his 13th goal of the campaign.

By contrast, U's keeper Dean Gerken, clad in a bright red shirt, was never troubled during the first half-hour.

Gerken was finally called into action in the 36th minute as he dropped to his knees to smother an optimistic 30-yarder from winger Andrew Welsh. U's defender Pat Baldwin also did well to turn a cross over his own bar for a corner, but otherwise the Glovers were ineffective.

At the other end, Kem Izzet fancied his chances of doubling his goal-tally for the season, but his goal-bound drive on 44 minutes was charged down by a defender. However, the U's were in complete control at the interval.

Half-time: Yeovil Town 0 Colchester United 2

Gerken performed heroics to maintain the U's two-goal lead in the 50th minute. He dived to his left to beat away a thunderbolt from Tottenham loanee Jonathan Obika.

A minute later and Yeates again ran rings around the Yeovil defence, before sliding the ball through for Simon Hackney. His shot was diverted wide off a defender.

Only the woodwork denied Yeovil a goal in the 58th minute. The impressive Obika latched onto a pass from Welsh and let fly from distance with a rasping shot that beat Gerken, only to cannon back off the post.

Gerken had been far busier in the second half, and he again saved brilliantly from Craig Alcock's fierce shot on the turn in the 78th minute. The Glovers right-back was unmarked in the box.

Substitute Anthony Wordsworth nearly netted a third goal late on, when blasting inches over the bar from 12 yards out. But by then Yeovil were a well-beaten side.


YEOVIL TOWN: Weale 4 (sub Wagenaar, 85), Alcock 7, Forbes 6, Brown 7, Smith 6, WELSH 7 (sub Downes, 83), Schofield 6, Murtagh 6, Townsend 6, Tomlin 6, Obika 7 (sub Warne, 75). Unused subs: Fitzgerald, Maguire.

COLCHESTER UNITED: Gerken 8, Maybury 6, Baldwin 8, Heath 7, Tierney 7, Vincent 7 (sub Jackson, 56), Hammond 7, Izzet 6 (sub Wordsworth, 72), Hackney 7, YEATES 8, Vernon 5 (sub Platt, 72). Unused subs: Coyne, Cousins.

Referee: Mr Fred Graham (Essex) 7

Attendance: 5,237