U's fans still dreaming after superb win
Colchester United 3 Sunderland 1COLCHESTER United inflicted a first league defeat of 2007 on league leaders Sunderland to further boost their own play-off hopes.The U's more than matched their loftier visitors, and were good value for this terrific win.
By Carl Marston
COLCHESTER United inflicted a first league defeat of 2007 on league leaders Sunderland to further boost their own play-off hopes.
The U's more than matched their loftier visitors, and were good value for this terrific win. With two games left, there is all to play for at Layer Road!
Wayne Brown broke the deadlock in first-half injury-time, heading home Kevin Watson's free-kick to notch his first goal of the season.
Sunderland equalised within nine minutes of the restart, thanks to Dwight Yorke's pinpoint header, but they had no answer to the on-form U's during the closing 10 minutes of the match.
Richard Garcia restored their lead by turning onto Hogan Ephraim's cross and lashing home a superb shot from 10 yards out in the 82nd minute.
- 1 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 2 Look inside 'immaculately presented' property with own bar and heated pool
- 3 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 4 Ipswich Town sign Brentford full-back Thompson on loan
- 5 'One or two we're speaking to' - McKenna on transfer plans
- 6 'I'm not here to settle' - Walton sets sights high after permanent Town move
- 7 McKenna on offers for Harper and El Mizouni and Fraser's Town future
- 8 Town could lose its Post Office branch in triple closure shock
- 9 Adventure Golf attraction set to make way for new homes
- 10 Glamping pods and shepherd huts proposed in holiday site expansion
Roy Keane's men were on the rack, and they were a beaten side when Jamie Cureton won a penalty in the 89th minute, following a good break by substitute Jamie Guy.
Dean Whitehead chopped down Cureton in the box, and the U's leading scorer picked himself up to sweep home his 24th goal of the season and wrap up a great win.