U's fans still dreaming after superb win
Colchester United 3 Sunderland 1COLCHESTER United inflicted a first league defeat of 2007 on league leaders Sunderland to further boost their own play-off hopes.The U's more than matched their loftier visitors, and were good value for this terrific win.
By Carl Marston
COLCHESTER United inflicted a first league defeat of 2007 on league leaders Sunderland to further boost their own play-off hopes.
The U's more than matched their loftier visitors, and were good value for this terrific win. With two games left, there is all to play for at Layer Road!
Wayne Brown broke the deadlock in first-half injury-time, heading home Kevin Watson's free-kick to notch his first goal of the season.
You may also want to watch:
Sunderland equalised within nine minutes of the restart, thanks to Dwight Yorke's pinpoint header, but they had no answer to the on-form U's during the closing 10 minutes of the match.
Richard Garcia restored their lead by turning onto Hogan Ephraim's cross and lashing home a superb shot from 10 yards out in the 82nd minute.
- 1 A12 closed following serious collision
- 2 'Nothing surprises me anymore' - Judge on Town departure
- 3 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 defeat at Northampton Town
- 4 Have you seen this Suffolk pub’s new outdoor kitchen and bar?
- 5 DHL driver apologises after 'dangerous' driving in Ipswich rat-run
- 6 Why have ITFC's American owners issued £18m of new shares?
- 7 'Loving and devoted' - Family pay tribute to mother-of-five found in park
- 8 Grandfather-of-two 'died with dignity' in hospice while serving life sentence
- 9 A blow for Cook as trusted assistant Richardson gets full-time Wigan job
- 10 'We've got to be better - myself included' - Cook on 3-0 loss at Northampton Town
Roy Keane's men were on the rack, and they were a beaten side when Jamie Cureton won a penalty in the 89th minute, following a good break by substitute Jamie Guy.
Dean Whitehead chopped down Cureton in the box, and the U's leading scorer picked himself up to sweep home his 24th goal of the season and wrap up a great win.