U’s ‘growing’ in confidence all the time
COLCHESTER United boss John Ward believes that his team are “growing” in confidence, with every game that passes.
The U’s, unbeaten in their last seven games, are just six points adrift of the play-offs in ninth spot.
Tonight, they face a huge game away at Stevenage, who are one place but five points clear of the U’s.
Despite conceding an injury-time equaliser, via Magnus Okuonghae’s 94th minute own goal, during Saturday’s 1-1 draw against Huddersfield, Ward does not anticipate a problem in rejuvenating his team for the trip to Broadhall Way.
“I’ve just got to rally my players, but that won’t be a problem, because my team is growing in what they think they can do,” insisted Ward.
“It did feel more like a defeat on Saturday, but it was still a fantastic effort from the team. I think our supporters are really beginning to warm to what we are doing.
“We haven’t got too many injuries, so we’ll be able to go with something similar at Stevenage.”
- 1 Matchday Recap: McGreal's Town beaten at The Valley
- 2 Trio jailed as travellers' site shooting described as 'like a movie scene'
- 3 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 4 Karaoke noise complaints prompts fear Grade II pub could close
- 5 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 6 Fallen trees block Suffolk roads as Storm Barra batters region
- 7 'Selection is down to the manager' - Town CEO Ashton on Norwood's absence
- 8 Charlton boss Jackson on Bonne's 'point to prove', Addicks' interest in Pigott and Cook's sacking
- 9 Battle of the caretakers, good omens and McGreal's possible rejig... Charlton v Ipswich
- 10 Flood alerts issued for Suffolk ahead of Storm Barra's arrival
Ward might name an unchanged side tonight, although the loan duo of Freddie Sears and Gavin Massey are both pushing for a start.
Referring to winger Massey’s recent loan return from Watford, Ward said: “The lads like him, and the fans like him.
“Gavin has the pace and at just 19 he’s going to be a very good player. He adds to our firepower.”