U’s record wins at Needham and Maldon
Two different Colchester United sides recorded victories at pre-season fixtures this afternoon.
A U’s XI recorded a 2-1 win at Maldon & Tiptree, where Daniel Pappoe broke the deadlock with a smart finish on 15 minutes, after the hosts had failed to deal with a corner.
Leon McKenzie equalised for Maldon early in the second half, only for Freddie Sears to drill home what proved to be the winner with a fine solo effort on 67 minutes.
The one slight concern for the U’s in this match was an injury to Sanchez Watt, which saw him limp off midway through the second period.
Meanwhile, an equally strong U’s XI registered a 3-0 victory at Needham Market this afternoon.
Marcus Bean netted the opener, slotting home the rebound after O’Donoghue’s shot had been parried by keeper Plummer.
O’Donoghue was also the creator of the second goal. His pass was converted by Gavin Massey on 64 minutes.
- 1 Paul Cook on social media 'drama queens' and a trip to Gateshead
- 2 Child rapist jailed for offences dating back to 2005
- 3 'It's a genuine personnel issue' - Cook on goal errors
- 4 Hundreds sign petition to fix closed Suffolk road as MP visits site
- 5 'Lads have different levels of where they are' - Cook on Norwood and Barry
- 6 Time Team using latest technology to investigate Sutton Hoo
- 7 Woman receives life ban from owning dogs after sheep were mauled
- 8 'That is the calibre'- Oxford boss on potential transfer move for Norwood
- 9 Three overnight burglaries in the same Sudbury street
- 10 'The answer to your question is in my reply' - Cook on whether he'll go with Bonne or Pigott
And Clinton Morrison completed a good day for the U’s by helping himself to the third late on.
U’s starting line-ups
At Maldon & Tiptree: Cousins, Wilson, Okuonghae, Papoe, Dickson, Szmodics, Izzet, Eastmond, Watt, Sears, Inbehre.
At Needham: Walker, Olufemi, Eastman, Thompson, O’Donoghue, Drey Wright, Bean, Gilbey, David Wright, Massey, Morrison.