U’s snap up second loan signing, in defender Thompson
COLCHESTER United have completed their second loan signing of the day, by recruiting defender Josh Thompson on loan from League One rivals Portsmouth.
Thompson, 21, came up through the youth ranks at Stockport County and played nine league games for the Hatters, before completing a dream move to Celtic in 2009.
Although he went on to make 18 league appearances for Celtic, in the Scottish Premier, he spent much of his time out on loan at such clubs as Rochdale, Peterborough and Chesterfield.
He actually scored the winner at the Weston Homes Community Stadium, in Chesterfield’s 2-1 win over the U’s on January 21, 2012.
Thompson terminated his contract at Celtic, so that he could join Pompey this summer, on transfer deadline day (August 31).
You may also want to watch:
But he has only made a couple of appearances for Pompey, having been hampered by a recent ankle injury.
Thompson is now fit and raring to go again, and so will add some much needed competition to the U’s central defensive positions over the following month.
- 1 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 2 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 4 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 5 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 6 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 7 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 8 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 10 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
Earlier today, the U’s signed keeper John Sullivan on loan from Charlton.