U’s winning streak under Dunne is ended by Yeovil

Yeovil Town 3 Colchester United 1

COLCHESTER United’s winning run, under new manager Joe Dunne, was ended at Yeovil Town this afternoon.

The U’s were bidding for a third win on the trot, under Dunne, but they came up well short in Somerset.

Yeovil debutant Paddy Madden, on loan from Carlisle United, scored twice in the 21st and 34th minutes, and James Hayter made the game safe for the hosts with a third in the 79th minute.

The U’s only reply was via Jabo Ibehre’s 25th minute equaliser.

You may also want to watch:

Dunne’s men, after wins over Hartlepool and Swindon, fell well below those high standards at Huish Park.

Their passing let them badly and Yeovil, who had lost their previous six games, were good value for their win.

Most Read

U’s boss Dunne named an unchanged side for the third game running, following his appointment to the hot seat last Thursday week.

But after a quiet first 20 minutes, his side fell behind to the first of Madden’s strikes.

Keeper Mark Cousins rushed off his line to save at the feet of the onrushing James Hayter, but the ball squirmed loose and the alert Madden was able to slot into an empty net.

Colchester were level just four minutes later, thanks to Ibehre’s third goal in three games, since his loan switch from MK Dons.

The equaliser was the product of a sweeping move, prompted by Marcus Bean’s powerful run and slick pass out to Sanchez Watt.

Arsenal loanee Watt whipped over a cross from the left, and Gavin Massey managed to redirect the ball across the face of goal for Ibehre to poke home from two yards out.

Despite this, the Glovers continued to look the more threatening, and they regained their lead on 34 minutes via Madden’s second goal.

Right-back Joe Edwards did well to keep the ball in play and swing over a cross.

Magnus Okuonghae could only head the ball out as far as Madden, and the Carlisle loanee connected with a stunning volley that beat Cousins all ends up.

Both sides struck the woodwork early in the second half.

Norwich City loanee Korey Smith clipped the top of the U’s bar with a 25-yarder on 47 minutes, while at the other end Brian Wilson’s long-range shot cannoned off the bar and rolled to safety.

Madden twice came close to completing his hat-trick, just after the hour mark. He looked odds on to score, when put clean through, only for Cousins to scurry off his line to block.

And Madden was again denied by Cousins shortly afterwards. His speculative long-range shot was finger-tipped away by the U’s keeper.

The U’s were mostly on the back foot, although they had a glimmer of hope when home keeper Stech dropped a high cross by substitute Freddie Sears. Unfortunately, Anthony Wordsworth could not guide his shot through a crowded six-yard box.


YEOVIL TOWN: Stech, Edwards, Burn, Hinds, McAllister, Marsh-Brown, Smith, Upson, Foley, Madden, Hayter, Unused subs: Stewart, Ayling, Blizzard, Williams, Reid, Ralph.

COLCHESTER UNITED: Cousins, Wilson, Okuonghae, Eastman, Rose, Bean (sub Duguid, 73), Eastmond, Wordsworth, Massey (sub Sears, 63), Ibehre, Watt (sub Henderson, 80). Unused subs: Pentney, Heath, Morrison, White.

Referee: Steve Bratt (East Midlands)

Attendance: 3,002

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter