UEA 3 Magpies IV 0
Martin and Acock Norfolk Women’s League
AFTER a disappointing start to the season Magpies were in need of a victory away to UEA to raise spirits, and more importantly, to raise their position in the league table. But they faced a tough test against a strong UEA side riding high in fourth place.
The match opened with UEA displaying why they are where they are in the league - they dominated possession, playing the ball around with pace and confidence, using all of their ten outfield players to maximise the space and width. And they enjoyed the majority of the play for the whole of the first half, winning numerous short corners.
But Magpies held strong, defending magnificently as a unit, and with Ellie O’Sullivan in the Magpies goal making several splendid saves, Emma Tolhurst at sweeper crucially blocking and intercepting, and Rachel Baines making a briiliant goal line stop, the away side took UEA into half time at 0-0.
You may also want to watch:
Magpies came out confident in the second half that they could get something from the game, but a scramble in the D found UEA get the ball over the line to give themselves the lead.
The home side then really started to exert their superiority, and with the game becoming more open they attacked the Magpies goal with verve. Two more goals for UEA sealed their deserved victory.
- 1 Ipswich Town owner Johnson close to adding another club to his portfolio
- 2 Suffolk police teams to star in new documentary series on Dave
- 3 Names of couple found dead in Woodbridge confirmed
- 4 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 6 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 7 Mark Ashton: The 'divisive' figure with a track record for promotion and profits
- 8 Peter Andre visits Ipswich for post-lockdown haircut
- 9 Goalkeeping coach Walker leaves Town as Cook bids to 'freshen things up'
- 10 All 24 League One home kits ranked from worst to first
Magpies must be proud of their battling performance, showing commitment and resilience to the last. The effort and fight must continue, and then the points will come.