Town U23s lose 5-2 at Colchester
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town lost 5-2 at Colchester United in an Under-23 fixture this afternoon.
Decarrey Sheriff scored a hat-trick, while Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe bagged a brace for the Essex hosts at their Florence Park training base in Tiptree.
The Blues, playing in front of first team boss Mick McCarthy, were only 1-0 down at the break and equalised soon after the restart through Ben Folami.
Three goals in 13 minutes – capped by an acrobatic Ogedi-Uzokwe effort – saw the U’s take firm control though before Shane McLoughlin stabbed home a late consolation.
Barry Cotter, the 19-year-old right-back Town signed on transfer deadline day from Irish club Limerick, made his first competitive appearance for the club.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, 20-year-old striker Ben Stephens – who is on trial from Stratford Town – was given his first outing, while 20-year-old attacking midfielder Mohammed Sagaf – on trial from Waltham Forest – was handed another chance to impress. Gerrard Nash’s men, who had only lost three league games prior to this, fall further behind leaders Crystal Palace in the Professional Development League South table.
IPSWICH: Wright, McLoughlin, Cotter, Goteni, Clements, Sagaf, Nydam, Stephens, Morris, Drinan, Folami. Subs: El Mizouni, Hayes, McGavin, Dobra, Marshall.
- 1 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 2 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
- 4 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 5 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 6 Mike Bacon: Starting to walk the walk, I'm liking the way we move
- 7 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 8 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 9 Family pays tribute to 'gentle giant' who died in motorbike crash
- 10 'It's powerful' - Harper on Town's use of sports psychology
COLCHESTER: Kurasik, Kpekawa, W Wright, Diaz Wright, Rooney, Allarakhia, Gondoh, Dickenson, Issa, Sheriff, Ogedi-Uzokwe. Subs: Collins, Krasniqi, Edge, Wilson.