United suffer home loss
Colchester United 2 Burnley 3CONCEDING two goals inside the first half-hour cost Colchester United dear as they slumped to their first defeat in the Championship, at the hands of Burnley this afternoon.
By Carl Marston
Colchester United 2 Burnley 3
CONCEDING two goals inside the first half-hour cost Colchester United dear as they slumped to their first defeat in the Championship, at the hands of Burnley this afternoon.
Former Ipswich Town man Alan Mahon broke the deadlock with a clinical finish in the 15th minute, and danger-man Andy Gray then volleyed home the second from Wade Elliott's cross on 28 minutes.
You may also want to watch:
The U's came storming back, and Kevin Lisbie halved the deficit with a superb header from George Elokobi's cross on the stroke of half-time.
United's rearguard was halted by Gray's 62nd minute penalty, after Elokobi had tripped Chris McCann, although Adam Virgo set up an exciting finish by heading home his first goal for the club on 88 minutes.
- 1 Matchday Live: Town beaten 3-0 after Harrop's red card
- 2 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 4 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 5 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
- 6 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 7 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
- 9 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 10 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
Geraint Williams' men could not find an equaliser during six minutes of injury-time, and so suffered their first home defeat of the campaign, and their first reverse in four Championship fixtures.
The U's only showed flashes of form throughout the afternoon, and they were made to pay for their sluggish start.