University of Exeter 8 Ipswich 2
Slazenger Men's EHL South Division - University of Exeter 8 Ipswich 2THIS Slazenger EHL South Division game provided the Ipswich team with a dreaded round trip of some 600 miles.
Slazenger Men's EHL South Division - University of Exeter 8 Ipswich 2
THIS Slazenger EHL South Division game provided the Ipswich team with a dreaded round trip of some 600 miles.
The team, lacking Oli Woodgate who was retained by Framlingham School, and Royce Waters due to coaching commitments with the ladies, arrived at Exeter University for the first of the weekend's two games. The objective set by player/coach Iain Gall was three points during the weekend, with any additional points being considered a bonus.
Bearing in mind the quality of the student team, containing no less than six internationals, it was always going to be a challenging game. The only thing the score line of 8-2 failed to illustrate were the heroics of Tony Birch in goal who was widely accepted as the man of the match.
You may also want to watch:
The Ipswich outfit was courageous despite the score line, albeit with frustration vented at the poor umpires on too many occasions. Consolation goals were scored by Mark Wheelhouse, who was lucky after his drag flick took a wicked deflection and by Phil Messent. Messent's goal deserves particular mention, not for the quality of his strike, but more the fact that he single handedly beat most of the Exeter team before topping into the corner. This left many wondering why he hadn't demonstrated such skills more often during the game!
- 1 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 2 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 3 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 4 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 5 Stu says: He's ours now! The pick-pocket and cheese-gate - Town's 4-0 win
- 6 A14 roundabout lanes remain closed as burst water main repaired
- 7 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 8 Family pay tribute to former Suffolk headteacher who has passed away
- 9 'We were shamed'... Pompey boss Cowley offers no excuses
- 10 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties