UPDATE: Both Danny Smy and Adam Bloss out of hospital after collision
FELIXSTOWE & Walton United striker Danny Smy and Brantham Athletic defender Adam Bloss have both been released from hospital following their accidental clash that led to last night’s match between the two sides being abandoned.
The Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division fixture at the Goldstar Ground was abandoned by referee Alan Dale after 52 minutes with Brantham leading 1-0 thanks to Sean Gunn’s 20th minute goal.
The collision took place mid-way in the Brantham half as centre back Bloss, who was facing his won goal, tried to control the ball on his chest, but as it ran away and he stretched to retrieve it there was a heavy collision with Smy.
Both players lay motionless on the ground and the physios were called on. Felixstowe centre back Dan Davis, a trained firefighter and first aider, also gave assistance.
After a couple of minutes it became clear that further medical assistance was required and a paramedic attended followed by two ambulances to take the stricken players to hospital.
You may also want to watch:
Smy, who only joined the Seasiders at the start of this season from Leiston, was discharged in the early hours of this morning. He has not suffered cruciate ligament damage as first expected, but doctors believe the intense pain could be due to a dilocation of the knee that popped back in but twisted sinews and ligaments.
Bloss has also left hospital with a swollen face but did not suffer any breaks or spinal damage.
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 2 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 3 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 4 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 5 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 6 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 7 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 8 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 9 'It's been difficult... I was just so happy' - Celina delighted to end long goal drought in style
- 10 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours