MATCHDAY RECAP: U’s at the double with 2-1 win at Forest Green
- Credit: Richard Blaxall / Pagepix
Follow all the action and reaction as we bring you live coverage of Colchester United’s EFL League Two match against Forest Green at The New Lawn
Drey Wright and Ben Stevenson scored early in each half as Colchester United recorded a third win on the bounce, at lowly Forest Green Rovers this afternoon.
Following on from their 1-0 away success at Stevenage, and 2-1 home win over Luton on Good Friday, the U’s completed a hat-trick with a deserved victory on their first-ever visit to The New Lawn, in the Cotswolds.
The U’s grabbed the lead after just 19 seconds, Wright steering home only his second goal of the season.
Mikael Mandron released Sammie Szmodics down the left flank and Wright bundled the ball home from point blank range at the far post.
You may also want to watch:
Forest Green Rovers were level before the break, thanks to Reuben Reid’s 37th minute penalty following Tom Eastman’s foul on rival centre-half Haydn Hollis in the box.
But just 85 seconds into the second half, midfielder Stevenson arrowed home a glorious 20-yard shot into the far corner of the net.
- 1 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 2 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 3 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 4 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 5 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 6 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move
- 7 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 8 Mike Bacon: This Ipswich team has Paul Cook's style stamped all over it
- 9 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 10 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
It was Stevenson’s second goal in nine appearances, since his loan switch from Wolves on transfer deadline day.
It also proved to be the winner, so inching the U’s closer to an unlikely play-off berth.
• Re-live all the action and get the best reaction from Carl Marston in the blog above.