MATCHDAY RECAP: Spirited U’s down high-flying Lincoln City 1-0
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Follow all the action and reaction as we bring you live coverage of Colchester United’s home EFL League Two match against Lincoln City
Colchester United manager, John McGreal, declared Saturday’s match-up with league leaders Lincoln City as a “man’s game” following a terrific 1-0 home win.
The U’s toppled Danny Cowley’s Lincoln, thanks to Frankie Kent’s first-half goal.
Kent obliged with his third goal of the season, and his second in the league, in the 27th minute.
Courtney Senior delivered a corner to the near post, where Kent’s initial header was blocked on the goal-line by keeper Josh Vickers. However, Kent was quick to react to the rebound, poking the ball over the line from point-blank range.
You may also want to watch:
Lincoln piled on the pressure, but were mostly kept out of harm’s way, thanks to another strong defensive display from McGreal’s men.
Frankie Kent celebrates after giving the U’s a 1-0 lead, in a 1-0 win over Lincoln City. Picture: STEVE WALLER WWW.STEPHENWALLER.COM
- 1 Ipswich Town close in on two more signings
- 2 Vacant pub to be demolished and home built in its place
- 3 Ed Sheeran hits back at criticism over work at his Suffolk home
- 4 Drinan set to sign for Leyton Orient
- 5 Ex-Town keeper Cornell signs for Championship club
- 6 Blaze rips through Felixstowe bungalow
- 7 Ipswich Town not in talks to sign Owen Dale
- 8 Dozens of firefighters tackling huge recycling centre blaze
- 9 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Wigan 'beat' Blues to goalkeeper
- 10 Man died after being found by fire crews in shed
“I thought this was a man’s game, between two physical teams,” enthused McGreal.
“We knew it was going to be a tough game, with the big-hitters (league leaders) in town.
“It made for a good match, although it looked as though at one time this clash between the two top scorers in the division would end in a 0-0 draw.
“We had to defend, but we grew into the game. I thought Courtney Senior was fantastic for us. He got into the holes, and we got Frank Nouble onto the ball.”
• Follow all the action and get the best reaction from Carl Marston in the blog above.