MATCHDAY RECAP: Super U’s hammer Newport County 3-0 to move back into League Two play-offs
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Colchester United hosted Newport County in League Two on Saturday and we have all the best reaction in our matchday blog from the Jobserve Community Stadium.
The U’s produced a scintillating display against Newport County to bolster their play-off hopes in a one-sided encounter.
First-half goals by Sammie Szmodics and man of the match Courtney Senior put the U’s firmly in the driving seat, before Frank Nouble obliged with a stunning goal just after the hour mark, against his former club, to kill off the Welsh visitors.
Szmodics struck in the 20th minute, with his 12th goal of the season.
Ryan Jackson launched himself at a lofted ball delivered by Nouble. There was a suspicion of handball as Jackson lost his footing, but play was allowed to continue and the alert Szmodics toe-poked the loose ball into the net.
You may also want to watch:
And Senior doubled the lead in first-half stoppage-time with a wonderful strike, to cap a superb first-half display from the U’s young winger.
Senior let fly from outside the box with a shot that was arrowed into the bottom corner of the net, leaving keeper Joe Day clutching at thin air.
- 1 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 2 Jail for man who threatened to 'do a Raoul Moat' and kill police
- 3 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 4 Channel 4's Changing Rooms comes to Bury St Edmunds tonight
- 6 Villagers call to stop 'hazardous' 5-week road closure with huge diversions
- 7 Suffolk coast named one of top UK destinations for autumn
- 8 Things to do in Suffolk this weekend with friends and family
- 9 'We have formed a successful partnership' - Morsy on his Evans reunion
- 10 Burgers, Wings and Ribs comes to Stowmarket
Day was again left flapping as Nouble crashing home a wonderful third goal, in the 63rd minute.
Nouble made room for himself, on the right edge of the box, and then out-of-the-blue let fly with a shot from a narrow angle that flew like a bullet into the far top corner of the net.
• Get the best live coverage and reaction from Carl Marston in the blog above.