Video: Suffolk table tennis player Lucy Curtis is a star in the making
- Credit: Archant
An 11-year-old table tennis player has targeted an England place after returning from the national finals
Lucy Curtis, 11, played in the 2015 Butterfly Schools Individual Table Tennis Championships National Finals at the Tipton Sports Academy, which included over 300 players representing 50 counties at four different age groups.
Competing in the under 13 event, and having been drawn in a five player group which included two of the highest ranked players in the competition, it was always going to be difficult for Lucy to progress from her group.
However that did not stop her from putting in a spirited display and she can certainly look forward with optimism to the Under 12’s Cadets National Championship in Sheffield, in little over a month.
Grandfather and coach Ian Bullock, who introduced Lucy to the sport at the age of 7, said: “Unfortunately Lucy did not make it through the group stage having been extremely unlucky with her draw, but she played to the best of her ability under the circumstances which involved Lucy playing against players a year older than herself.
You may also want to watch:
“We will put this down as a tough learning experience and she will be ready to go again at the Under 12’s cadets competition, in which she is county ranked fifth.”
Lucy’s ultimate aim is to represent her country and follow in the footsteps of her mother, Rosemary Curtis, and gain a national ranking.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 3 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 4 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 5 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 6 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 7 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 8 'It was a clear foul' - Imps boss Appleton angry after Town defeat
- 9 Two cars set alight in two different streets
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week