Video: Telemark skier Jasmin Taylor becomes British champion again
- Credit: Archant
Jasmin Taylor is once again Britain’s best female telemark skier after winning the British Championships in Austria on Wednesday.
The 20-year-old previously held the title in 2012 but couldn’t defend it last year after becoming ill shortly before the event.
But Taylor is now continuing her successful start to this campaign by topping the ladies’ competition and placing third overall at the annual event in Rauris.
Being crowned British champion for a second time follows soon after Taylor made history by becoming the first Brit to medal in a telemark World Cup.
She finished with a silver medal in the parallel sprint event during the cup’s first round in November 2013.
You may also want to watch:
Taylor, who lives in Ipswich in the off-season, said of her win: “It’s great, it always feels amazing to be crowned the best in your country and to be up there with the boys as well is fun!
“The first run of the giant slalom was the best because I beat all the boys as well, that felt great.”
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 13 Fire engines attend blaze at sugar beet factory
- 3 'One of the favourites for the division' - Fleetwood boss Grayson on Town
- 4 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 5 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 6 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 7 Five floating restaurants to visit in Suffolk
- 8 North Stander: Norwich will be back in Championship - can we join them?
- 9 A14 reopens after one person taken to hospital following crash
At the beginning of the season Taylor decided to keep her main targets a secret to avoid putting pressure on herself, but now admits that winning the British Championships was one of them.
“I didn’t want to tempt fate as I feel I had done the season before that,” she said.
“The World Cup podium was an amazing moment and that was a massive boost.
“It is always great motivation to have a good result in something you work so hard for – it makes it feel like everything was worth it.”
Taylor’s next event is the third round of the World Cup, also held in Rauris but hosted by Britain.
She then returns to her main training base in Les Houches, France.
Never seen telemark skiing before? Take a look at the video at the top of the page from the recent British Championships in Austria.