Vincent seals narrow win for U’s
npower League One Colchester Utd 1 Oldham Athletic 0
COLCHESTER United stopped the rot with a narrow victory over Oldham Athletic last night in front of the lowest crowd ever witnessed for a league game at The Weston Homes Community Stadium.
Winger Ashley Vincent raced onto a neat flick from David Mooney to slot home the winner seven minutes after the break.
Just 2,892 turned up to watch a game between two equally out-of-form sides – the lowest ever for a league game in the three seasons the Essex side have been playing at their new stadium.
The U’s were able to make it a positive night though, ending a four-game losing streak to climb back up to 10th in the League One table.
You may also want to watch:
For the free-falling Latics it marked a sixth straight defeat and a failure to score in nine of their last 10 games.
– Reaction to follow. Full match report and ratings in tomorrow’s EADT.
- 1 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 2 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 3 Matchday Recap: Goalless again in first game of a new era at Town
- 4 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 5 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 6 Driver goes to court over speed camera calibration dispute
- 7 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 8 Plans for 170 homes in village outside of Ipswich
- 9 Managing director of popular zoos steps down after 28 years
- 10 'It was a surprise for a lot of us... but these are exciting times' - Gill on takeover
COLCHESTER UTD (4-4-2): Williams; Wilson, Heath, Clarke, Coker; Vincent (O’Toole 84), Izzet, Perkins, Bond; Mooney (Odejayi 76), Gillespie (Henderson 90).
Unused Subs: Cousins; White; Wordsworth, James.
OLDHAM ATH (4-4-2): Brill; Lee, Mvoto (Tarkowski 63), Hazell, Black; Jones (Millar 70), Furman, Stephens, Evina; Brooke (Tounkara 58), Reid.
Unused Subs: Gerrard, White, Winchester, Alessandra.
Booked: Lee (63).
U’s Man-of-the-Match: Vincent
Referee: Mr J Linington