Walsham avenge defeat to Melford with narrow victory in crucial game for the hosts

Walsham le Willows and Long Melford in action. Stock image. Picture: Richard Marsham

Walsham le Willows and Long Melford in action. Stock image. Picture: Richard Marsham

The relegation fears for Melford still loom large after a below par performance against a Walsham le Willows team they defeated earlier in the season.

Lacking their usual cohesion and movement Melford were the architects of their own downfall conceding two soft goals in this 2-1 defeat.

The first came after three minutes when defensive miss-kicks and a surrender of possession allowed Jack Brame room down Melford’s left flank

His shot-come-cross was deflected into the net by Steve Adams the Melford skipper.

After 16 minutes Walsham should have gone further ahead, Sam Peters somehow shooting wide in front of a gaping goal.

You may also want to watch:

On 34 minutes Melford levelled when a poor Walsham back pass was picked up by David Lorimer who chipped the ball over Craig Brand in the Walsham goal.

A scrappy first half ended with Walsham having the best of play but unable to add to their score.

Most Read

It was a better second period for Melford but Walsham’s winner came after 53 minutes, Andy Wood being allowed too much time and space in the attacking third.

His shot from 25 yards saw Melford ‘keeper Darren Moyes diving at full stretch only to push the ball into his own net.

Although Melford turned up the heat and Adams was unlucky when his header was hooked off the line and Lorimer shot into the side netting, Walsham continued their winning run and Melford may well rue losing this crucial game.

Haverhill Rovers and Wivenhoe Town fought out a goalless draw to claim a share of the spoils.

The match included a second-half penalty for the away side which was saved by home goalkeeper Charlie Turner shortly after the same side had hit the bar, Turner’s opposite number Ben Gallifant also pulling off a string of excellent saves to keep his side level.

Ryan Weaver had two shots stopped by Gallifant in the 33rd and 38th minutes, as well as a header following Luke Haines’ free-kick after 40 minutes.

The penalty came when Turner attempted a save and clipped Adam Hampson. The spot-kick was awarded and Hampson stepped up to take it, only to see Turner get down to his right and pull off an excellent stop.

At Brantham Athletic the hosts recorded a 3-0 win over Hadleigh United – but it could have been more.

Hadleigh ‘keeper Sam Mansfield managed to save two penalties, both from Ollie Mann, in the second half.

Representative teams from the Essex and Suffolk Border League and the Suffolk and Ipswich League will meet in a fixture to be played on Tuesday, March 28 at Brantham FC’s ground. Kick off will be at 7.45pm.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter