Ward: Hartlepool got their tactics right
COLCHESTER United boss John Ward conceded that Hartlepool United deserved their late winner against his side this afternoon after getting their tactics right.
Mick Wadsworth’s side recorded their first win in eight thanks to Antony Sweeney’s 88th minute goal, the midfielder netting after the U’s failed to deal with a long free-kick into the box.
It was no less than the hosts deserved after bombarding the Essex side’s box with balls throughout the second period.
“They went long which they’re allowed to do,” said Ward.
“They were always likely to get something off a set play and that’s what happened in the end. They were the better side in the second half and deserved to win.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “The pitch was bobbly but it was the same for both teams. They adapted better to that and we just tried to carry on playing nice passes when it wasn’t a day for nice passes.
“It was a scrappy, scruffy game which makes it even more disappointing that we’ve not got anything. They’ve won ugly a little bit.”
- 1 Matchday Live: Town beaten 3-0 after Harrop's red card
- 2 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 4 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 5 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
- 6 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 7 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
- 8 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 9 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
The U’s have now slipped to 10th place and six points off the play-offs.
– Full report and reaction in Monday’s EADT.