Ward: Try and mark Bond if you can
COLCHESTER United boss John Ward had a message for former U’s midfield favourite Dean Hammond today – try and mark Andy Bond if you can.
Ward’s acquisition of Bond from non-league side Barrow has proved to be one of the shrewdest bits of business of the entire summer, with the 25-year-old free transfer having scored four goals in six League One games from midfield so far.
The U’s face Southampton at St Mary’s this afternoon and it will almost certainly be the job of Hammond to contain the man who has finally filled his void as a genuine box-to-box midfielder at The Weston Homes Community Stadium.
And while Ward knows that Bond is quickly losing his secret weapon tag, he is backing his man to keep up his supreme form even if he does start coming in for some special treatment.
He said: “I imagine he will start getting a bit of attention from people on the pitch, but how do you mark him? You’ve got to have someone with a bit of power who is prepared to run for 95 minutes which is very difficult to do.
You may also want to watch:
“And even if Andy does take some extra attention then hopefully the opposition might slip up on one or two other of our players.
“Andy is quite rightly taking the plaudits, but the likes of David Mooney, Anthony Wordsworth and Ian Henderson have shown they have got goals in them too.”
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 3 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 6 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 7 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 8 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 9 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
- 10 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- Full match preview in today’s EADT. For match updates from St Mary’s follow Stuart_Watson at www.twitter.com.