‘We ended up doing it in style!’ – Colchester United hot shot Freddie Sears
- Credit: Archant
Colchester United’s leading scorer, Freddie Sears, helped himself to his 11th and 12th goals of the season to help crush Brentford 4-1 on Saturday, and so effectively secure League One safety for the U’s.
This victory, combined with defeats for relegation rivals Carlisle and Tranmere, plus a very favourable goal difference, meant that the U’s had preserved their League One status for a seventh season, barring an exceptional set of results on the final weekend.
“We knew we had to win the game, and we ended up doing it in style!” enthused Sears.
“We scored four goals against a very good team.
“We had a good chance early on with Jabo (Ibehre). It didn’t go in and we kind of felt the nerves a bit.
You may also want to watch:
“But once we scored the goal (from Marcus Bean) and followed it up with the second (from Alex Wynter), it took a lot of the nerves away,” added Sears.
Ex-West Ham attacker Sears converted a 41st minute penalty, and then added his second and the U’s fourth on 64 minutes.
- 1 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 2 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 3 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 4 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 5 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 6 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 7 Teenage girl allegedly raped on village recreation ground, court hears
- 8 Kenyan school chums meet by 'unbelievable chance' at Suffolk village fete
- 9 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 10 Town complete ninth signing as Edmundson joins from Scottish giants
He hobbled off with a sore hamstring late on, but is still hoping to be fit for the last game of the season at Walsall next Saturday.