‘We’re feeling sore at the minute’ – U’s boss McGreal after defeat to Mansfield
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Colchester United boss John McGreal was left frustrated after today’s dramatic 3-2 home defeat to fellow promotion candidates Mansfield Town.
The U’s surrendered a two-goal lead as the Stags came storming back with three second-half goals to complete a remarkable comeback at the Jobserve Community Stadium.
Goals from Tom Eastman (14 minutes) and Courtney Senior (30) put the U’s in a commanding position at half-time.
But this game was then turned on its head by three Mansfield goals. Nicky Ajose (51), Tyler Walker (64) and CJ Hamilton (79) all hit the target with deadly finishes to seal the U’s fate.
“For the first 50 minutes we were very good,” explained McGreal.
You may also want to watch:
“We had a great start and got 2-0 up, but you have to give Mansfield credit. They changed their shape and changed some of their personnel.
“We’re feeling really sore at the minute, especially as we started the second half really well as well.
- 1 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 2 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 3 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
- 4 Delays of 80 minutes following A12 crashes
- 5 Can Town kick on now? Predictions for the next five league games
- 6 Ipswich Town players' FIFA 22 ratings revealed
- 7 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
- 8 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 9 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 10 CCTV released following series of burglaries
“Sammie (Szmodics) had a chance to put us 3-0 up, and he will personally be disappointed that he has not scored today.
“But we were still 2-0 up, even without taking that chance.
“The ground seemed to go quiet a bit and Mansfield then got a goal back. That was sloppy play from us, with us not picking up.
“I sensed the game was changing, but I still fancied us on the counter.
“They brought on fresh legs and the last 20 minutes were tough. However, some of our football this afternoon was excellent, against a top side,” added McGreal.