“We’ve conceded too many goals” – Colchester United defender Tom Eastman
Colchester United centre-half, Tom Eastman, was satisfied with the way the defence improved on Saturday, but conscious that the net result was the same – an away defeat – 2-0 at Doncaster Rovers.
The U’s have now leaked 34 goals in 16 league fixtures this term, and 23 goals in seven games on the road.
“We’ve conceded too many goals this season, so obviously the defence is going to come under scrutiny,” admitted Eastman.
“Every defender must take on this scrutiny, as must every midfielder and every attacker – in fact, the whole team – and hopefully we can do better during the rest of the season.
“I think we defended better than we had been doing, especially since that last away game at Wigan (5-0 defeat), when we started horrendously badly.
“We started better today, but we still lost, which is the key. “The first goal was important, and they scored a good goal. The first goal in every game is a big goal, which is why it was so disappointing for us.
“Their keeper (Thorsten Stuckmann) made three or four good saves. On another day, if one of those had gone in, then it might have changed the game a little bit,” added Eastman.
- 1 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 2 Eight centre-backs Ipswich Town could turn to this month
- 3 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 4 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 5 Frustration as temporary traffic lights left in place for nearly a year
- 6 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 7 Meet the man who has documented the entire history of a Suffolk village
- 8 Woman jailed for harassing behaviour in Bury St Edmunds
- 9 Suffolk landlord 'over the moon' to be named pub of the month
- 10 Suffolk coastline to feature on BBC Winterwatch
Rovers secured victory through goals from debutant Conor Grant (41 minutes) and striker Andy Williams (65 minutes).
The U’s return to action next Saturday, with an FA Cup first round tie at non-league Wealdstone.