Catch up on what was said in our Marcus Evans webchat special
- Credit: Warren Page
Today marks the 10th anniversary of Marcus Evans completing his takeover of Ipswich Town.
EADT and Ipswich Star chief football writer Stuart Watson held a special webchat this lunchtime.
Jim Magilton, Roy Keane, Paul Jewell and Mick McCarthy have all been managers during the last decade, with Town finishing anywhere between sixth and 16th in the Championship table.
Evans struck a deal to purchased £32m of debts from Aviva and Barclays Banks at a reduced price – reports of 20p in the pound – and spent big in the first few years seeking a rapid promotion to the Premier League.
Keane and Jewell wasted transfer funds on big-money flops such as Tamas Priskin, Lee Martin, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas and Paul Taylor, with Evans subsequently tightening the purse strings for the last five years of what has generally been over-achievement under McCarthy.
You may also want to watch:
Debts – owed exclusively to Evans – have risen to £89m, with annual losses, on average, between £6-7m.
Where do we go from here? Join the discussion.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 2 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 3 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 4 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 5 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 7 Biker injured in crash with car in south Suffolk
- 8 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 9 Ipswich Town 0 Millwall 3: Town are well tamed by Lions
- 10 Warnock and Dijon boss give updates on Town targets Coulson and Celina