What they said
The town of Ipswich needed a boost. In our world this was an important win but to the outside world Ipswich has been the focus of attention for something that is horrendous.
By Derek Davis
The town of Ipswich needed a boost. In our world this was an important win but to the outside world Ipswich has been the focus of attention for something that is horrendous. What has gone on has been terrible and this just a football match with three points but if we can send a few people home with a small fillip of joy then grand.
Our sympathies go to the families who have lost daughters and it was a very poignant day with the prayer before the game.
It probably affected the game, especially first 20 minutes when everyone's thoughts were still with the families.
You may also want to watch:
Gavin Williams should score more goals. He has it in his locker to do that. It was probably the best bit of play of the whole game. Alex Bruce had been having a torrid time up until then but he played a great clip, nice knock down, great first touch and finish.
We won ugly but recently we have been putting in good performances and not had results, this time it was not a great game or performance, for which I apologise, but we got three points and that was what it was about. We stood up to Leeds and I was delighted with our clean sheet and the whole 11 deserve great credit for that.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 5 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 6 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 7 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 8 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 9 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 10 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
Owen Garvan was a lucky lad because I felt he should have been sent off. You can't raise your hands on a football pitch.
Kevin Nicholls has gone off for something similar, he has led with his elbow on Danny Haynes.
Ipswich manager Jim Magilton
Hopefully we can now put together a little run and get involved in the play-offs. We have tried to stay positive and not concede any more last-minute goals but, even though this wasn't the best of games, we will take the three points. They tried to stop us playing but we dug in to get the win.
Town match-winner Gavin Williams
I will appeal against the dismissal. The referee said he will look at the match video at home but will not look at the Alan Lee incident but will look at Nicholls, so it may be overturned.
I was not going to do the press conference today. I was going to leave it to Gus (Poyet) but this has driven me bonkers.
It kills you, it really hurts but the referee can go home, watch the video, have a beer and relax. But he doesn't realise what this means to a football club. He can get away with it whereas we don't.
These things change our season.
We deserved something from the game but the game ends up like this because of these decisions.