Wickham Market: Suffolk band Doghouse help keep wolves from the door at cash-strapped youth football team
- Credit: Archant
A musical fundraiser is being held to help a cash-strapped football team provide “crucial” support for youngsters in a market town.
Suffolk-based rock group Doghouse has offered to perform in Wickham Market tomorrow night after learning that the town’s struggling youth football team cannot afford the new goalposts it needs to continue staging matches.
Volunteer club chairman Nick Peecock has thanked Doghouse for their support, which he says is vital to enable the club to continue with its highly valued work.
“The club provides a focus for the local community and facilities for the boys and girls to train, get fit and enjoy themselves in a constructive and committed way,” he said.
“None of this would be possible without fundraising events like this.”
You may also want to watch:
Jo Cresdee, whose son is one of 80 youngsters involved with Wickham Market Youth Football Team , has described it as a “crucial resource” at a difficult time for the town.
“The town is struggling to survive, you hear about it losing its community spirit but here we have a thriving youth football team which is still coming together and putting a match on every Saturday despite facing adversity – that’s why they need some support,” she said.
- 1 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 2 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 3 Woman dies after car collides with tree in Leiston
- 4 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 5 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 6 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 7 Police cordon after man in 20s found outside Ipswich flats dies
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 home draw with MK Dons
- 9 Here's what Bristol City boss Pearson said about CEO Ashton being linked to Town
- 10 Suffolk holiday accommodation reaching capacity ahead of re-opening
“There’s very little for the children to do in Wickham Market or the surrounding villages – the team is all they’ve got.”
Doghouse, who perform rock and blues cover versions, will be taking to the stage at Wickham Market village hall from 8pm on Saturday.
Tickets cost £5 on the door or £4 in advance from Amanda on 07748 912341 or Jackie on 07789 966064.