Williams’ loan extended again
COLCHESTER United have extended the loan of left-back Tom Williams for a third time.
The 30-year-old’s parent club Bristol City have agreed that he can stay on at the U’s until the end of the year to cover for Marc Tierney, who could be out for a fortnight after undergoing minor hernia surgery last week.
Williams was initially signed on an ‘emergency’ one-month loan when Tierney disclocated his shoulder at the end of September.
And after a successful five-game spell culminated in two assists in the 2-1 home win over Notts County and a stunning free-kick goal in the 2-1 victory at Bournemouth, U’s boss John Ward moved to extend the deal for a further month.
The return of Tierney to fitness has seen Williams feature in just two and a half games in his second loan spell and it looked like he would return to his parent club this week.
However, with Tierney now injured once again, Ward has moved to extend Williams’ stay for a third time meaning altogether it will take his stay at Colchester to the maximum 93 days available under the ‘emergency’ loan system.
Notably Williams will now be avaialble to play for the U’s at Peterborough – the club where he has enjoyed three separate spells throughout his career – on Boxing Day, with his final match being the visit of Oldham just two days’ later.
- 1 Glamping pods and shepherd huts proposed in holiday site expansion
- 2 Look inside 'immaculately presented' property with own bar and heated pool
- 3 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 4 Town could lose its Post Office branch in triple closure shock
- 5 'I'm not here to settle' - Walton sets sights high after permanent Town move
- 6 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 7 Adventure Golf attraction set to make way for new homes
- 8 'One or two we're speaking to' - McKenna on transfer plans
- 9 McKenna on offers for Harper and El Mizouni and Fraser's Town future
- 10 Ipswich Town sign Brentford full-back Thompson on loan
– Meanwhile, another U’s left-back – Ben Coker – has seen his loan deal at Essex non-league club Chelmsford City come to an end. For an interview with the summer signing, see tomorrow’s EADT.