Williams’ loan extended again
COLCHESTER United have extended the loan of left-back Tom Williams for a third time.
The 30-year-old’s parent club Bristol City have agreed that he can stay on at the U’s until the end of the year to cover for Marc Tierney, who could be out for a fortnight after undergoing minor hernia surgery last week.
Williams was initially signed on an ‘emergency’ one-month loan when Tierney disclocated his shoulder at the end of September.
And after a successful five-game spell culminated in two assists in the 2-1 home win over Notts County and a stunning free-kick goal in the 2-1 victory at Bournemouth, U’s boss John Ward moved to extend the deal for a further month.
The return of Tierney to fitness has seen Williams feature in just two and a half games in his second loan spell and it looked like he would return to his parent club this week.
You may also want to watch:
However, with Tierney now injured once again, Ward has moved to extend Williams’ stay for a third time meaning altogether it will take his stay at Colchester to the maximum 93 days available under the ‘emergency’ loan system.
Notably Williams will now be avaialble to play for the U’s at Peterborough – the club where he has enjoyed three separate spells throughout his career – on Boxing Day, with his final match being the visit of Oldham just two days’ later.
- 1 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 2 'It was a tiny step forwards' - Cook on 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 3 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 4 The 20 places in Suffolk that recorded the most coronavirus cases this week
- 5 Missing Stowmarket man, 49, found safe and well
- 6 Shopper eschew Suffolk's smaller towns to hit Primark
- 7 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 8 Saturday drinkers queue for post-lockdown pints
- 9 Suffolk-born Royal Ballet choreographer Liam Scarlett dies
- 10 Blues ratings: How Town players performed in the draw at Charlton
– Meanwhile, another U’s left-back – Ben Coker – has seen his loan deal at Essex non-league club Chelmsford City come to an end. For an interview with the summer signing, see tomorrow’s EADT.