Wilnis - I want to end career with Blues
FABIAN Wilnis has vowed to end his playing career in England – preferably at Ipswich Town, writes Derek Davis.The Dutch defender, who is one of nine players waiting to hear if they are to be offered new contracts by the Blues, is anxious to stay at Portman Road until he retires from the game.
FABIAN Wilnis has vowed to end his playing career in England – preferably at Ipswich Town, writes Derek Davis.
The Dutch defender, who is one of nine players waiting to hear if they are to be offered new contracts by the Blues, is anxious to stay at Portman Road until he retires from the game.
The 33-year-old wants to carry on playing for at least two more years before returning to his native Netherlands.
Wilnis last night said: "I love it here at Ipswich and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will be offered a new deal.
"If that doesn't happen then I want to stay in England and find another club. I figure I have two or three years playing as a professional left in me and want to end my career here."
Wilnis is having a new house built near Eindhoven but has no intention of moving his wife and three children back to Holland for the next couple of years at the earliest.
- 1 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 2 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 3 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 4 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 5 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 6 Nearly 150 homes to go on land no longer needed for jobs
- 7 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 8 Ipswich Town 2-1 Crewe Alexandra: Celina brilliance just about enough to see Blues home
- 9 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 10 'The bigger picture is the result' - Cook on Crewe win
He said: "We will return one day but we are in no hurry. We all love living here and the children have grown up in Ipswich.
"When we go back I won't look to play professional football, perhaps a little amateur."
Wilnis is already considering moving into the commercial side of football when he quits playing.