Wilnis out in the cold
FABIAN Wilnis could find himself being pushed further into the cold when Joe Royle eventually lands a new right-back.Town have been heavily linked in trying to bring in Arsenal's Justin Hoyte, who returned from a pre-season tour in Austria yesterday, and Southampton's Chris Baird, who rejected a loan proposal.
FABIAN Wilnis could find himself being pushed further into the cold when Joe Royle eventually lands a new right-back.
Town have been heavily linked in trying to bring in Arsenal's Justin Hoyte, who returned from a pre-season tour in Austria yesterday, and Southampton's Chris Baird, who rejected a loan proposal.
Wilnis has already found himself behind Drissa Diallo in the pecking order, although the Frenchman is more suited to a central defender's role.
The Dutchman was used as a substitute in the home friendlies against Crystal Palace and Newcastle United after missing the win at Oxford with a back problem.
You may also want to watch:
Out-of favour right-back Chris Hogg, who cost Town £150,000 from York City as a 16-year-old, has been called into the England under-20 squad for a training camp in Leicestershire next month. Matt Richards and Ian Westlake are slight doubts for Ipswich Town's final pre-season game of the season against Osasuna on Monday.
Richards suffered a gashed foot in the 2-1 win over Newcastle United on Wednesday night, while Westlake missed the match with an infected wisdom tooth which was removed last night.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 3 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 4 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 5 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 6 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 7 Thunderstorm warning issued in Suffolk as heavy rain forecast
- 8 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 9 £1m renovation on Suffolk castle will change the appearance
- 10 Familiar faces galore, 'Chequebook FC' and the start of something big? - Town head to Portsmouth
Skipper Jim Magilton suffered a slight thigh strain on Wednesday and was replaced by emerging prospect Antonio Murray, but should be fit to play against the Spaniards.Meanwhile, Georges Santos protracted move to QPR continues to hang in the balance.
The London side are keen to secure Santos who has agreed a two-year-deal and passed a medical but the problem is understood to lie in how much of Santos's loyalty bonus - due to the Frenchman for being transferred - QPR are willing to pay to get him.
If the deal breaks down then the Frenchman could still end up elsewhere. Royle added: “There are other clubs showing an interest in Georges but QPR have got further than anyone else.”
* Ipswich Town season ticket sales last night broke through the 17,000 mark. Tickets for the friendly against Osasuna on still available at £12, adults, £8 concessions and £1 for children.