Win for Colchester Harriers’ Angus Holford, although Ipswich JAFFA again dominate the team stakes
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich JAFFA rounded off another successful season in the 53-12 Cross Country League by again dominating at the sixth and final race, held at Great Notley Country Park by Witham Running Club last Sunday.
JAFFA had already retained their title, coming into this final event, but that didn’t stop them topping the men’s, ladies’ and combined team stakes.
The Ipswich club’s winning margin at the top of Pool A, by the finish, was an impressive nine points from runners-up Colchester Harriers. In fact, with the exception of the first meeting, JAFFA won all five races outright.
However, it was Colchester Harriers’ Angus Holford who triumphed in the individual race at Great Notley, finishing well clear of runner-up David Green, from Great Bentley RC, and JAFFA’s leading runner Paul Wain.
Springfield Striders’ James Smith was fourth, followed by the JAFFA duo of Danny Rock (fifth) and Robert Chenery (sixth).
You may also want to watch:
Robert Reason flew the flag for Harwich Runners in seventh, ahead of Great Bentley youngster Joe Alexander (eighth), JAFFA veteran Keith Tilley (ninth) and Great Bentley’s Adam Smith.
JAFFA filled three of the top four places in the ladies’ race, although this trio had to play second fiddle to Great Bentley’s Hayley Munn, who took the individual honours.
- 1 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 2 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 3 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 4 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 5 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 7 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
- 8 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 9 A140 closed in both directions after two vehicle crash
- 10 Warning of seasonal canine disorder after dachshund Trudie taken ill
Sara Bird (second), Georgia Garvin (third) and Sam Spencer (fourth) wrapped up the team success for JAFFA, while Harwich’s Kate Hodgkiss completed the top five.
Essex runner filled the next five spots, led by Springfield’s Polly Bridgman (sixth), Gt Bentley’s over-40 veteran Vicky Presland (seventh), Harriers’ Rachel Dale (eighth), Witham’s Vicky Hunt (ninth) and Gt Bentley’s Sam Gudden (10th).
Meanwhile, Hadleigh Hares finished on top of Pool B, to win promotion at the expense of Harwich, who finished bottom of Pool A.
Final team standings, Pool A: 1 JAFFA 35pts; 2 Colchester Harriers 26; 3 Witham 21; 4 Gt Bentley 15; 5 Springfield 15; 6 Harwich 14.
Pool B: 1 Hadleigh Hares 33pts; 2 Halstead RR 25.5; 3 Tiptree RR 24.5; 4 Mid-Essex Casuals 16; 5 53-12 Multisports 15; 6 Colchester & Tendring 12.