Wins for Stowmarket and Sudbury in London 3


- Credit: Archant


Stowmarket 29

Wanstead 24

Stowmarket registered their second win of the season with a thrilling display of attacking rugby.

The margin of victory was only be five points but, in truth, the gap between the sides was much wider.

The opening exchanges were even and it was only in the 21st minute that a score was made, Wanstead benefitting from some weak tackling in midfield.

Similar happened five minutes later, leaving Stowmarket 14 points down in a match they had been competitive in.

Most Read

However, with every passing minute from then to half time, the lack of fitness across the Wanstead team was clearly evident.

Stow made good use of this by running in two scores, the first by Nik Kegge who was outstanding throughout the match and the latter from fly-half Dan Garrard.

The signs were there for a win but stupidly, immediately after half-time, Stow conceded a weak score that was nullified by one for Tim Simpson. Wanstead clearly struggled as the game progressed though as Stow became dominant but the crowd were stunned on one occasion as after 90 seconds of lying on the ground clutching his knee, a player had the game stopped for a ‘head injury’ just as Stow were going to touch the ball down for a try. His cause was not helped as he limped off.

It mattered little as Stowmarket pushed over from the scrum for a try and then added another in the 75th minute to seal the win.

Old Brentwoods 14

Sudbury 38

Sudbury continued their great start to the season with a seventh win and are now the only unbeaten team in London 3.

The bonus point win was hard-fought but the win was not plain sailing for the visitors.

The Essex side were bigger and heavier than Sudbury and the hosts started all guns blazing, putting Sudbury under pressure. However, the visitors’ defence held firm and survived the first ten minutes with no score.

Brentwoods’ resolve seemed to fade with their fitness and by the end of the first half Sudbury were in control.

The second half was a different story though and Sudbury seemed to switch off and lose momentum. Brentwoods rallied and took control, Sudbury playing on the back foot.

Shaun Smith broke the deadlock for Sudbury after 13 minutes, breaking from deep in the visitors’ half and sprinting down the left wing to touch down behind the posts, Tom Summers converting.

Brentwoods failed to kick the required ten metres and Sudbury were immediately back on the attack. Summers scored from a five metre scrum to take the lead to 14. Again, Brentwoods fluffed the restart, kicking direct to touch, so it was back to the middle for a scrum. Sudbury were now looking comfortable and Troye Streicher increased the Suffolk side’s lead.

Nick Robinson then secured the bonus point with a try under the posts.

Louis Boydell was next to get his name on the score sheet with half an hour played. Streicher was sent to the bin after two technical fouls in the red zone but Brentwood still could not score.

Sudbury finished the half on top and looked as though they would extend their lead in the second half having a comfortable 33-0 lead at half time.

The second half was altogether different as the hosts played to their strengths and looked revitalised.

They scored two minutes in, driving up the right side and sucking the Sudbury defence in, before shipping the ball across the park to the wing who had the overlap.

Old Brentwoods scored a second converted try from a scrum in the Sudbury twenty two, before Sudbury scored a try through Summers.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter