Wisbech Town 5 Colchester 4

Premier B Wisbech Town 5 Colchester 4Colchester slipped to third bottom of the table with a defeat at Wisbech. Colchester started brightly and took the lead when Ed Long-Price converted from a penalty corner.

Premier B

Wisbech Town 5 Colchester 4

Colchester slipped to third bottom of the table with a defeat at Wisbech.

Colchester started brightly and took the lead when Ed Long-Price converted from a penalty corner. Long-Price saw his first strike rebound of the keeper but was on hand to fire the ball into the back of net.

You may also want to watch:

That was just about the best of it for Colchester in the first half as Wisbech came back at them straight away. Within minutes Wisbech were level when a long corner found its man at the top of the 'D' whose shot went past the Colchester keeper.

Wisbech were relentless in the first half and Colchester were indebted to Grant Hibbert in the Colchester goal. Hibbert was making some wonderful saves and getting out well to deny Wisbech on more than one occasion.

Most Read

Colchester's task was made harder when Rohan Khaira was sin-binned for a bad challenge and the hosts took advantage as they took the lead. Colchester failed to deal with a cross from the right and a Wisbech forward was on hand to lift the ball over the advancing Hibbert.

By the end of the half Wisbech had extended their lead as they scored twice more. Firstly, Colchester were unable to stop one Wisbech forward as he jinked his way into the 'D' before rounding Hibbert and sliding the ball across where a forward was on hand to put the ball into the empty net.

Then, on the stroke of half time, a penalty corner for the hosts was switched back to the unmarked injector who swept the ball home for a 4-1 lead at half-time.

The second-half started in much the same vein and Wisbech soon had a four goal advantage. Another good run by a Wisbech forward evaded the Colchester defenders, he managed to round the keeper before finishing from a tight angle.

This only spurred Colchester back to life and they were soon creating some chances of their own.

Matt Foakes intercepted a pass in the Colchester 'D' before releasing Khaira to go on a run. Khaira played a neat one-two with Craig Warriner before firing in a shot, which was going just wide before Brian Barker got a touch to deflect it goal wards.

Within minutes Colchester had got a third goal. Warriner was cynically fouled just inside the 25-yard line leading to a penalty corner. A switch right to Wayne Masters followed and Masters pass found Khaira on the penalty spot. Khaira propelled the ball goal wards beating the keeper but not the defenders foot on the line.

Masters stepped up to convert the penalty stroke and, although Colchester continued to create chances, they just couldn't quite convert them.

Colchester got to within a goal of the hosts in the dying moments when they converted another penalty corner. Long-Price switched the ball back to Warriner who slapped the ball home to give the visitors some hope, however there wasn't enough time for Colchester to get an equaliser.

Hills Residential Man of the Match was Grant Hibbert for his display in the Colchester goal on debut.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter